Ms. Smith was past president of the Collaborative Practice Institute of Michigan in 2008 and has served on the Board of Directors of the organization since 2005. She is currently a supporting Fellow of the Michigan State Bar Foundation; a member of the American Bar Association - Family and Alternative Dispute Sections; Oakland County Bar Association - Family and Alternative Dispute Sections; the Michigan Inter-Professional Association on Marriage, Divorce, and Family – Oakland County; Michigan Council for Family and Divorce Mediation – Oakland and Wayne County Chapters; Women Lawyers Association of Michigan and the Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association.
Smith serves on the Board of Directors for "Homes for Autism'" and she has participated in the organizing committee for the association's black tie fund raiser in 2007, 2008 and 2009.
Smith believes that by concentrating only on domestic relations law, she can be more effective in helping people deal with the stress of reorganizing family structure and accommodating the needs of their children. Michigan Divorce Option has allowed Ms. Smith to realize her passion for helping people whether through alternative choices for dissolution of marriage or litigation.
Ms. Smith spoke on family law to incoming lawyers for the Federal Bar, New Lawyers Seminar in 2009, 2008, 2007, 2004 and 2003. In 2007, she lectured on the issues of child custody and collaborative practice for the Institute of Continuing Legal Education ("ICLE"). Smith strongly believes in treating every client with dignity and respect. She encourages divorcing clients to "take the high road" and "never forget to put children first."
Professional Organizations and Governmental Agencies
- Collaborative Practice Institute of Michigan
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Oakland - Macomb - Wayne County Collaborative Professionals
- Family Mediation Council
- Oakland County Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan - Family Law and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- American Bar Association - Family Law and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Michigan Inter-Professional Association - Oakland County
- Michigan State Bar Foundation
- Women Lawyers Association
- Electronic Research Databases
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education Partnership/Database
- State Bar of Michigan Database